donnambrownuk

donnambrownuk

Rabid: A Cultural History of the World's Most Diabolical Virus

Rabid: A Cultural History of the World's Most Diabolical Virus - Bill Wasik, Monica Murphy My usual ratio of reading has been one non-fiction title for every ten fiction titles, but 2013 has seen me embark on a real non-fiction kick. In part I blame (or rather thank) this book.

Really, the book synopsis covers it perfectly: this is a book that takes you on a journey through the disease’s history, but not just via microscopes and petri dishes, labs and hospitals. Instead, this look at rabies really does bring together a wonderful blend of culture, history and science.

This is a simply fascinating review of the disease from a historical and cultural perspective. I haven’t read a book that approached a medical condition in this way before and I really enjoyed it. So much so, that 2013 seems to be the year of reversing my fiction:non-fiction ratio!

**I received a copy of this book via Netgalley in exchange for a fair and honest review. I did not receive any additional compensation and all views are my own.**