donnambrownuk

donnambrownuk

Afterwards

Afterwards - Rosamund Lupton It’s going to be difficult to review Afterwards without giving too much away, so excuse me if I’m deliberately vague. Afterwards is one of those stories that evolves bit by bit and if you rush it, you run the risk of spoiling the whole thing. There is a fire and a mother, Grace, tries to rescue her daughter. Having saved her daughter from death (for now at least) she wants desperately to uncover who started the fire that nearly deprived her of a child.

Thus begins an incredibly compelling mystery with some very strange twists and turns. I’ll won’t go into the reasons Grace is restricted in her investigations – I’ll allow you to discover those for yourself – but they certainly add a very surreal dimension to this tale.

Lupton proved with Sister that she’s capable of writing great suspense and developing a good plot. More than that, she has a real knack for writing about family relationships and not just cosy, ‘everybody’s happy’ relationships but instead gritty, fraught and difficult ones. In Sister we saw the relationship between two sisters laid bare. In Afterwards the mother-daughter relationship receives the same thorough examination.

Afterwards is a story of jealousy, anger, fear, loss, hope, love and protection all rolled into one. If you can get all the way through this book without a tear in your eye or a lump in your throat at any point, you’re made of sterner stuff than me!

**Review originally published on Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dave. I received a copy of the book in exchange for a fair and honest review. I did not receive any additional compensation and all views are my own.**