donnambrownuk

donnambrownuk

There Goes the Bride

There Goes the Bride - Holly McQueen Polly’s flying home and she’s getting married! Except, she’s not. The wedding’s off and nobody can figure out why. After all, Polly seemed head over heels with her fiance Dev and the wedding is just around the corner. Polly’s friend Grace and her sister Bella both have enough problems of their own but with Christmas and a wedding just around the corner, they need to figure out how to get Polly down the aisle.

I really enjoyed There Goes the Bride. Although the main aspect of the story is Polly’s refusal to wed Dev – and refusal to confirm why – Bella and Grace also have their own share of pretty heavy going problems. Bella has a successful catering business but she’s looking to adopt and having a waster of a boyfriend lolling around the house, bringing his mates home and missing every social worker’s visit is proving to be a bit much to handle. Grace has lovely children but a less than lovely husband. Despite being a talented artist, she’s become little more to her husband than a fetcher, carrier and babysitting service.

The book is fun and funny with a smattering of arguments, romance, sex, snobbery and Christmas mayhem. At times it’s a little predictable but there’s some charm in that and a kind of reassurance that there’s nothing too tragic or overwhelming to face. This is feel good and enjoyable, with laughs, smiles and contented sighs along the way.

I haven’t read any of McQueen’s previous work but having enjoyed this so thoroughly I would definitely recommend her and wouldn’t hesitate to pick up other work by her. A fantastic pick about real women with real issues!

**Review originally published on Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dave. I received a copy of the book in exchange for a fair and honest review. I did not receive any additional compensation and all views are my own.**