donnambrownuk

donnambrownuk

Sound Bites: A Rock & Roll Love Story

Sound Bites: A Rock & Roll Love Story - Rachel K. Burke Romance and music – what’s not to like? Well, that was my rationale behind agreeing to review Sound Bites: A Rock & Roll Love Story. It feels a bit like a ‘coming of age’ story, with the characters finally having to grow up and face difficult choices – but yet at the same time the characters feel a bit beyond that stage already.

Renee is the main character and faces several dilemmas/crises during the book – the key one being her cruel betrayal by her best friend and boyfriend. She has to walk away from the comforting familiarity of her life and return to an even more familiar locale in her hometown of Boston. It’s a chance to pick up the pieces and maybe embrace love, as long as she doesn’t let the scars from her previous life overwhelm her.

Sound Bites was an interesting story, with pretty well written characters but it felt a little lacking for me in some areas. At once it seems to be trying to be tender and touching and gritty and shocking and I didn’t always feel the mix came off. I think I also expected there to be a touch more rock and roll and perhaps the book could have been marginally longer to encompass that.

That notwithstanding, Burke has produced a good story with some touching moments – I think for readers who enjoy romance this is certainly worth checking out. Burke writes well and convincingly and I’m absolutely certain that future novels will only see her go from strength to strength and produce even more enjoyable stories.

This review was originally published on Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dave. I received a copy of the book in exchange for my fair and honest review.