donnambrownuk

donnambrownuk

Generation

Generation - William  Knight Hendrix ‘Aitch’ Harrison has been known to discover some unusual cases during his employment as a techno-phobe journalist at Strange Phenomena and at times it seems like he’s on more of a wild goose chase than chasing down a scoop. Like being called to investigate the story of the Ashburton Wolf! Also known as… a farm dog. He’s anti-Twitter and likes to do things a certain way but he’s also tenacious and knows how to take the lead on a story. In other words, he’s the kind of journalist you’d like investigating when something goes wrong with a company.

Said company in this case is Mendel Pharmaceutical. They’re riding high on the wave of a new therapy that will make the board members very rich indeed. Who cares if it’s ethical? Who cares what the consequences are of the science behind it? They’ve put big money into this treatment and they’ll put even bigger money into protecting it and their profits.

Generation is quoted as being a cross between the X-Files and The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. As a fan of both I’m not sure either reference resonated with me fully – I felt it was more Michael Crichton meets CSI. There are strange goings on and Hendrix is an investigative reporter into supernatural phenomenon but to me this smacked more of a techno-thriller. There’s nothing at all wrong with that – as a long time Crichton fan, I’m always pleased to see someone new step into the arena.

Hendrix is an intriguing character though I felt this novel didn’t delve into his personality or history nearly enough. I could see this being developed as a series or even a television show but as a standalone novel I felt that Hendrix was a little bland as a character and some aspects of the novel a little predictable. That notwithstanding, it can’t be denied that Knight has put together a compelling read here with an interesting and thought-provoking storyline. I’d certainly be interested to read more ‘Hendrix Harrison’ novels if that’s on the cards – I feel he could be further developed as a character and tried and tested in many different situations.

Really this is probably around a 3.5 but as Amazon and Goodreads don’t allow the old half scores, I’ll have to go to three. This is a good read with some well-executed ideas but the character development is a little lacking and the predictability of the story in some areas takes the edge off the twists in some of the others. Nonethless, it’s a great choice for lovers of Crichton or those who just enjoy a great thriller in general and it’s always nice to see a novel that’s based in the UK with landmarks that I recognise and love!

This review was originally published on Book Bags and Cat Naps. I received a copy of this book in exchange for my fair and honest review. I did not receive any additional compensation and all reviews are my own.