donnambrownuk

donnambrownuk

Gods and Fathers

Gods and Fathers - James LePore Gods and Fathers starts with Matt DeMarco trying his first ever murder case: successfully, as it turns out. Fast-forward 16 years and this slick attorney with his high profile boss has ticked all the boxes professionally but his personal life is a mess.

It’s about to get much worse.

When Matt DeMarco’s son is arrested for murder the void between the two makes it practically impossible for DeMarco to offer the emotional support to the young man that he’d like to. Instead, he has to fight hard behind the scenes to do everything he can to prevent his son from going to jail. For that, he’s willing to risk his reputation, his career and even his life.

Gods and Fathers is a fast-paced thriller with aspects of law, politics and international affairs thrown in. LePore writes well, delivering a riveting book with flawed but ultimately ‘human’ characters. They might not make the best decisions, they may not always come across as very nice but you are rooting for them to make it in the end.

As books with a twist go, this had one that I really didn’t see coming. It’s a little frustrating that I can’t share my thoughts without giving much away but let’s just say that the complexities of the novel and the intricacies of the relationships involved may just prevent you from seeing what’s right under your nose. And that’s all I’ll say on the subject!

As a lover of John Grisham novels I’m always thrilled to find a talented legal/political thriller author and I have certainly found that in James LePore. I now look forward to reading all his past and future novels.

Originally published on Book Bags and Cat Naps. I received a copy in exchange for my fair and honest review. I did not receive any additional compensation. All views are my own.