donnambrownuk

donnambrownuk

My Blood Runs Blue

My Blood Runs Blue - Stacy Eaton My Blood Runs Blue is a paranormal suspense novel from Stacy Eaton and introduces the reader to Kristin, a strong-willed independent cop whose life begins to take some startling turns when a murderer appears in Fawn Hollow. Though it seems Fawn Hollow is facing its worst nightmare in the form of a serial killer, the reality is actually much more shocking and the discoveries that lie ahead for Kristin will have reverberations that affect her for the rest of her life.

Eaton writes well with a smooth, well flowing pace that moves the story along quickly but not at a rate that feels rushed. Dialogue slips into the stream of words easily, helping the story rather than hindering it, particularly as the author is able to develop an easy and realistic conversation between characters. This is evidenced throughout the novel and as a result, the dialogue rarely feels stilted or forced.

My Blood Runs Blue is part of a series and will be followed by Blue Blood for Life. The story, however, reads well as a self-contained novel so you needn’t be put off by the thought of a novel that will leave you dangling on a cliffhanger. It’s quite the contrary: there are a number of twists and turns in this book alone so I’m certainly intrigued about what future novels will bring.

One aspect of the book I did find frustrating at times was the retelling of the story by different characters. Throughout the course of the book Kristen, Alex and Julian (the latter two being vampires) all narrate parts of the tale. At some points sections will be narrated by two characters to show you how each was feeling. I can see the merit in this but I would have preferred smaller chunks of the book to be ‘retold’ or perhaps for it to have been done in a different style, such as the second person looking back on the scene at a later point. This is a minor quibble though and I suspect it relates more to a personal reader’s preference than any weakness of the book.

Stacy Eaton is a good storyteller, introducing characters that are easily likeable but which also have enough flaws to make you question their actions and motives. At a time when vampire novels are in abundance, it could actually be seen as a risky choice to produce something that might be perceived as coming from the same old tired formula. Therefore, it’s refreshing to see a well-written, engaging tale that helps reinvigorate my long held, now sadly tarnished, love of vampires. Hopefully book two will continue the good work!