donnambrownuk

donnambrownuk

The Mindful Carnivore: A Vegetarian's Hunt for Sustenance

The Mindful Carnivore: A Vegetarian's Hunt for Sustenance - Tovar Cerulli I’ve been quite fascinated by the questions about where our food comes from over the last couple of years and documentaries such as Food Inc and Jonathan Safran Foer’s Eating Animals have only added to my interest. Although I have weighed up my carnivore lifestyle numerous times over the last decade, I still keep returning to the meat counter or section. So, what would Cerulli’s The Mindful Carnivore teach me about my attitudes?

I really don’t know what I expected about the book but it raised some real questions that I had never expected to address. Cerulli spends a lot of time considering hunting: hunting for food, hunting for sport. I have never hunted – I have no desire to hunt – but I’m aware of the hypocrisy I would present if I looked down on anyone who hunted for food. Surely it shows more respect for the produce you eat than a schlep to the meat counter does?

Cerulli interweaves this tale of his personal history with food and, specifically, meat with factual information, personal anecdotes, quotations from various sources both pro and anti-hunting and both for and against vegetarianism.

All in all, this is a very very well-constructed book but neither aims to preach nor to condemn but simply to detail one man’s quest for answers about this particular and what he has discovered on the journey. At times touching, at other times disturbing, this is an incredibly emotive book, yet still manages to keep a tight hold of the facts.

Review originally published on Book Bags and Cat Naps. I received a copy of this title in exchange for my fair and honest review. I did not receive any additional compensation. All views are my own.