donnambrownuk

donnambrownuk

inSyte

inSyte - Greg Kiser inSyte is a semi-futuristic thriller (i.e. set in the quite near future so it holds many elements of present day) and tells the story of Mitch who has an amazing power (inSyte), which he can use to retrieve massive amounts of information. Not only that but Mitch also has eyes in every location via the surveillance networks so he always knows what’s going on.

This isn’t necessarily the blessing it sounds and is a considerable complication to Mitch’s life. However, it does enable him to pick up on a conspiracy that could lead to the death of millions. Yet another downside arises here, though, when Mitch realises the politician behind it is the father of his beloved Kate.

I enjoyed inSyte and found it a fast-paced and intriguing read. Although the thriller aspect of it appealed to me, I was even more enthralled by the picture that Kiser painted of a society just a few years ahead of our own. Nothing is beyond the realms of possibility and yet some of the things depicted were simply frightening.

For example, imagine ordering takeout and receiving a ‘health credit’ because you haven’t chosen the healthiest option. Imagine you’re told you can surely afford the charge because earlier in the week you spent $62 in drinks on a night out. In a world where everything about you in stored on a massive information network, the idea of any one person having access to it is frightening indeed.

In inSyte Kiser has weaved a great read, which depicts an interesting view of a rather frightening future society. The novel poses some intriguing questions about how much intervention is too much and whether it’s really a good thing to have so much information out there in the world. I really enjoyed this read and will certainly look forward to reading more of Greg Kiser in the future.

This review was originally published on Book Bags and Cat Naps. I received a copy of this book in exchange for my fair and honest review. I did not receive any additional compensation. All opinions are my own.