donnambrownuk

donnambrownuk

We're British, Innit: An Irreverent A-Z of All Things British

We're British, Innit: An Irreverent A-Z of All Things British - Iain Aitch I wasn't really sure what to expect when I ordered this book. I was a bit frightened in case Iain Aitch really did think 'Innit' was 'New British' and we should all embrace it (well, it wouldn't be the craziest thing to happen!). However, I needn't have worried. Five minutes into the book (with my cup of tea of course, not to mention a few Rich Tea biscuits) I felt quite reassured - it's scathing to say the least and incredibly funny but at the same time oddly patriotic. It's almost like saying, "Well, yes, we're all these things but we're British so get used to it!".

Don't be suprised to find yourself nodding along as you read about things that strike a nerve (e.g "Kagouls... married couples in Britain are required by law to wear matching kagouls" and "Tea... Enjoyed with as few as four biscuits") and clearly anyone in the UK reading this will realise that it's pretty spot on about many things. Buy it for your son, your Mum, your grandad - I think they'll all enjoy it. And it's true that anyone entering the UK for the first time should receive one - the essential guide to all things British - good (see "Chips") and bad (see "Chavs").

To buy or not to buy, innit? Get your wallet out and fork out your shillings lad! Or lass...