donnambrownuk

donnambrownuk

The Violinist's Thumb: And Other Lost Tales of Love, War, and Genius, as Written by Our Genetic Code - Sam Kean I readily admit to being a bit of a science geek. That’s not to say I’m good at science – I actually have to work very hard to understand the concepts – but I love science books, particularly ones that show science in more ‘human’ terms. The Violinist’s Thumb is one such book. Kean takes the history and science behind DNA and our study of it so far and uses it to show – in very real terms – what the human consequences are.

Particularly fascinating – to me – was the story behind a parasite that can infect cat owners (contracted via litter). It affects around a third of humans but some to extremes, so much so that this might be one potential physiological explanation for some instances of cat hoarding.

The book looks at some aspects of the historical study of DNA and the conclusions – both correct and incorrect – that pave the way to further theories and knowledge. Added to that an introduction to some of the characteristics, flaws and merits of the scientists themselves and this is far from a dry tome on scientific theory.

The Violinist’s Thumb provides a remarkable insight into this incredible area of knowledge and research, one that still has a long way to go. Kean writes with passion, humour and insight that makes this an excellent read.

**Review originally published on Tweedle Dee and Tweedle DaveI received a copy of this title from Netgalley in exchange for my fair and honest review.**