donnambrownuk

donnambrownuk

Atticus for the Undead

Atticus for the Undead - John Abramowitz Everybody needs somebody to stand up for them. Even Zombies! Hunter braves the disdain of his peers and the disapproval of his father in order to represent the right of the arcanes – zombies, vampires and werewolves – in a world that doesn’t believe they’re entitled to any. When Sam is accused of murdering a former female friend when in the grip if the Hunger, he calls on Hunter to defend him.

On its surface, Atticus for the Undead is a light-hearted and fun read, with a very unique approach to courtroom drama. If you want to delve a little deeper there are echoes of questions surrounding tolerance, acceptance, politics and the legal system in general. In short, this is as fluffy or as thought-provoking as you allow it to be.

The writing was largely strong, with just a couple of instances where I felt the dialogue was a little weak. However, the characters were portrayed brilliantly and I was able to build up a clear picture of them in my mind. The ending threw me. It wasn’t what I expected at all and was quite a twist. The jury is still out on whether I would have preferred a different outcome but the ending certainly didn’t detract from the book.

I don’t really read many books with zombies, werewolves and vampires in. If there were more like this, I’d be seriously tempted. Atticus for the Undead was a great read with a very unique concept.